Saturday, December 1

Jamie Bamber"Had Reservations About Doing Sci-Fi"

Source: Buddy TV

While Jamie Bamber has gained much success from starring in the SCI FI Channel's Battlestar Galactica, he admits that there was a time when he seriously doubted the quality of the sci-fi genre.

"I did have reservations about doing sci-fi," Bamber, who plays Lee “Apollo” Adama, told TV Guide. "In my mind, it had been reduced to sort of post-Star Trek goofiness on TV. I would never, ever watch it, not in a million years."

All that changed, however, when he read the script for Battlestar Galactica and came to know about the show's aim to "really make a stink about our own civilization and what we do to ourselves on this planet." Now, with three seasons under his belt and another one on the way, Bamber is one of the most loved actors on the show. He is also considered by many as one of the sexiest men in sci-fi television today, and although he says that he does not see himself in that way, he is grateful to be reminded nonetheless.

“It's genuinely exhilarating to be reminded that some people do think of me in that way,” Jamie Bamber said. “I find as many men come up to me and go, 'I need you to sign this for my wife' or, 'I want this for my brother. We love the show.' [But] the women tend to have a different angle: They request photos of me without my shirt on and stuff like that. And they get a little bit giggly at times. And the men don't tend to do that so much."

Battlestar Galactica itself has become a hit among fans of the genre, although in the beginning, many expressed skepticism over the re-imagined series. Some were not so keen on watching a revival, while others were worried that the new series would compromise the integrity of the original. All this, however, did not intimidate Bamber, who was even excited to hear “so many different opinions flying around.”

"I had no idea that the mainstream and even sort of high-brow press would really champion it as groundbreaking and thought-provoking television,” he added.

No comments: